What do you think the sex(es) of the twins will be?

Thursday, March 15, 2012

31 weeks

I really need to have Dan take a picture of my Brobdingnagian stomach. It is getting huge and it doesn't really seem possible that it could get bigger.

I am so happy to be at 31 weeks (yesterday)! Things are so much safer for the babies now than they were when I was first put on bed rest 6 weeks ago. I have a doctor's appointment today, including a full ultrasound where they will measure the babies and estimate how much they weigh (most of my ultrasounds are quickies to measure my cervix). I love seeing the babies. Going to the doctor always makes me a little nervous though. I am nervous they will put me in the hospital again or tell me that something else is wrong. I always pack a little bag with my glasses, underwear, and books just in case they don't let me come back home.

Bed rest is not exactly boring. I have lots of company between Dan, Pumpkin, friends, books and movies. The hardest part is not being able to nest and get everything ready for the babies. But it has been a good lesson for me, too, in being able to let go of things. I've realized that I'm the type of person who likes things done in a particular way and likes them done immediately. Being on bed rest has been a lesson in relinquishing control and realizing that there is not one way to do things. The world won't end if Dan buys one kind of soy milk instead of the other (although I might switch to hot cereal for a couple of weeks). The nursery doesn't have to look good before the babies come. It just has to be functional. Dan has been amazing with picking up the slack around here. He's also a very calming influence when I start freaking out about things and crying uncontrollably. He is the MVP of our family right now.

Most of the time, I'm just in awe that I am pregnant with twins. Getting pregnant is the hardest thing I have ever done. While all the discomforts of pregnancy (I'm still throwing up in my 3rd trimester, bed rest, hospitalization, etc.) aren't fun, they are things I would do all over again in a heartbeat. They are nothing like the pain and hopelessness of infertility treatments. There are two babies at the end of this road and I can't wait to meet them. I mean, I can wait to meet them. Preferably in a few more weeks.

2 comments:

ellen said...

Love this and love you.

Alicen said...

31 weeks! Lisa! you've got this!! You can do it! I should be a coach of something.